Actualities about the large project titled “Development of city tramways in Miskolc”
I. Aim of the project
Realizing a long-term sustainable, competitive, environment-friendly, fast and safe public transport; thus making public transport attractive; and building up a modern townscape.
Establishing and developing tram traffic along the east-west axe of the city of Miskolc.
The direct aim of the project is to level up the service by modernising the existing tram lines, by network development from the present Diósgyőr terminal to Felső-Majláth, and modernising the tram-park by purchasing new trams.
II. Elements of the project
- complete reconstruction of the existing tracks (9,6 km);
- line extension between Diósgyőr and Felső-Majláth (1,5 km);
- corresponding to the equal chance regulation we plan to build 2,5-3 metre wide platforms, shelters,
- purchase 31 new vehicles,
- modernise the vehicle park,
- locate modern, passenger informative systems.
III. The prospective results of the project
- Shorter travel time,
- Less noise,
- Environment friendliness.
- Travelling by tram will become safer for those needing assistance, equal chance conditions will improve.
- There will be wide platforms with shelters, benches, ticket machines, modern passenger informative system.
- The conditions for getting about by bike will be provided, at the terminal a ‘bike and ride’ bike store is to be built.
- An intermodal junction will be established by building the Felső-Majláth terminal (it means that the bus and tram terminals will be at the same site, and it will be possible to change for the Lillafüred Forest Railroad easily). Later a cycle path will connect here too.
The project’s outcome will be a modern tram transportation that enables thousands of people to join the environment-friendly public transportation. The development of the tram transportation facilitates the development of the town districts as well. A new transportation and public safety system will evolve on the east-west axis of Miskolc.
- finalization of the real technical content and the execution plans
preparation of the detailed workability study supported with expense-benefit analysis
- preparation of assistance request that includes the above mentioned
- decision of the general assembly
- presenting assistance request for European Union
- decision of European Union
- beginning of work
- 2013: finishing work, inauguration of modern tram transport in Miskolc
V. Basic data
- Expectable finish of the investment: the end of 2013.
- Total budget of the project: 37,7 thousand million Ft
- Resource: European Union, local government of the city of Miskolc, Miskolc Városi Közlekedési Zrt.
VI. Cooperating partners